What is a Matterport Camera?
Published: October 4, 2021
What exactly is Matterport technology? Matterport is a three-dimensional camera system that generates realistic, completely immersive virtual environments. Viewers may explore the place from different perspectives and gain a sense of the space without having to go.
A wide range of businesses can benefit from using Matterport to generate 3D representations of places. This technology has the ability to assist any business that employs a physical place, such as:
- Real estate: Creating a virtual tour of a home allows prospective buyers and tenants to view the place up close and personal without personally visiting it. You may even use it to show prospects what a still-under-construction building will look like when done and to help them envision themselves in the soon-to-be-completed area.
- Travel and hospitality: Hotels, resorts, cruise ships, airlines, and others can show prospective guests exactly what they have to offer, allowing them to feel enthusiastic about their trip and know how to properly prepare for it.
- Retail stores: Store owners may show suppliers the layout of their space and select goods for their 3D tour.
- Architecture, engineering, and construction: Scan your building site once, and you’ll have all the information you need, including accurate dimensions. 3D spaces are a simple method to document each stage of your project and show stakeholders your progress.
- Event venues: People want to know what to expect before they decide to have their event at your location. That way, customers can determine if the location will meet their requirements and arrange their event around the venue’s features.
- Cultural spaces: Creating a virtual environment allows more people to enjoy your art installation, museum exhibit, or other cultural show even if they are unable to attend in person.
Benefits of Matterport Technology
Matterport can create highly realistic virtual environments that make the viewer feel like they’re really in the location. The renderings are also very interactive without sacrificing quality. You can view the space from virtually any angle and get a 360-degree view while exploring from a first-person viewpoint.
The powerful, precise camera system allows you to scan up to 10,000 square feet per project. The results of the scan are dimensionally accurate, within 1 percent, and can produce spatially accurate schematic floor plans. This accuracy enables your customers to know exactly what they’re getting before they even arrive.